Grow Progress is hiring a Web Developer to be part of a team that is building cutting-edge persuasion technology for social good.
We’re looking for engineers who want to help pioneer a new approach to persuasion: giving our customers the power to persuade more people based on how they think — not just how they look.
If you want to make a big social impact and grow your skill set by building products from the ground up, we hope you’ll apply.
Who We Are
- Grow Progress gives our customers the power to persuade more people by tailoring their messages to match each audience member’s identity. We help customers harness the latest persuasion science to create messaging that’s typically 200% to 500% more effective than their existing ads. We do this by predicting which personality traits and values are most important to each individual based on their digital footprints.
- We’re deploying these tools to super-charge campaigns, causes, and companies that make the world a better place. We currently work with many of the biggest Democratic pollsters, marketing agencies, advocacy groups, and labor unions in the country.
- We’re a team of experienced campaigners, data scientists, and engineers who are obsessed with harnessing the power of evidence to make social good advocates more effective.
- We’re ambitious, efficient, low-ego, and we like to make each other laugh.
Why You Should Join
- Our culture is fun, fast-paced, and focused on evidence. We encourage everyone to feel comfortable contributing ideas — even if it’s on a topic outside of their expertise.
- Our engineering team prides itself for its ability to be nimble with its process, has an affinity for naming projects after birds, and never fails to lighten the mood with a seriously terrible joke.
- You will be part of a team that works hard to get smarter together by giving each other feedback that’s direct, actionable, and respectful.
- We’re deeply motivated by the work we do and committed to using the technology we build ethically, so we’re looking for teammates who feel the same way.
- You will work on challenging technical problems with the goal of building lean and innovative solutions.
- By being at the ground floor of a rapidly expanding company, you will get the opportunity to learn new skills, make important decisions, and work closely with team leaders.
About The Position
- You will work closely with the engineering team in a scrum-like environment.
- This position reports directly to the Lead Software Engineer.
- Web Developers will hold the title of Software Engineer and will be primarily responsible for iterating on our client-facing applications which are built with Laravel (PHP), VueJs, Bootstrap 4, and MySQL.
- A typical week might involve the following:
- Participating in, planning for, and/or leading technical planning meetings.
- Working with the Lead Product Designer to build, test, and iterate on new product features and ideas.
- Having your code reviewed by teammates and reviewing their code.
- Providing and receiving feedback through weekly 1:1s with your manager or through the departmental Engineering team meeting.
- Chit-chatting in optional team lunches or grabbing a virtual donut with a colleague.
About Our Stack
- Client-facing applications are built with Laravel (PHP), Vue.js, Bootstrap 4 (from source with SCSS), and MySQL.
- Client side assets are bundled with Webpack.
- Code is version controlled with GIT.
- Our devops is a combination of Docker, Bash scripts and Terraform.
- We use Atlassian software: Bitbucket, Confluence, and Jira.
- We deploy our products on AWS Resources: specifically EC2, RDS, Lambda, S3, SQS, Redshift, and DynamoDb.
Our ideal teammate is:
- Comfortable working in a small team environment, can take ownership of their projects, and can effectively advocate for their ideas.
- Willing to take on tasks that may be outside of their comfort zone as part of a small team.
- Eager to learn new skills and is not afraid to fail quickly
- Able to communicate technical issues with both technical and non-technical teammates.
- Comfortable debugging, fixing, improving, and QAing software that they may not have built.
- Comfortable with version controlling their code.
- Capable of providing and receiving constructive feedback.
- Enjoys participating in and leading technical planning discussions.
- Experienced with the technologies listed above in “About Our Stack” or is eager to learn them.
- Authorized to work in the US.
- Likely to have 4-10 years of web development or engineering experience — but don't let that stop you if you have more years under your belt and you're still interested.
More About Grow Progress
We are committed to building a diverse company. We’re an equal opportunity employer. Qualified people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, languages, social class, marital status, religions, veteran status, and disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location: DC preferred, remote within the United States for the right candidate. Everyone on our team is currently remote during the pandemic.
Salary Range: $80,000 - $100,000 plus equity, depending on skill level, location, and experience. Benefits include health insurance reimbursements, five weeks of paid time off, a HSA, and a 401(k) among others.
To Apply: Fill out the form at the link below. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. Please note that if you email your resume to our team directly rather than applying through the link, you will not be considered for the position.